Native American Health Issues, Lessons Learned from Community-based
Interventions, and Overview of Native Cancer Projects
Linda Burhansstipanov, M.S.P.H., Dr.P.H., C.H.E.S.
- Burhansstipnov L. Urban Native American Health Issues. Cancer 2000; 888:987-93.
- Burhansstipanov L, Dignan MB, Bad Wound D, Tenney M, Vigil G. Native American Recruitment into Breast Cancer Screening: The NAWWA Project. J Cancer Educ 2000; 15:29-33.
- Burhansstipanov L, Hampton JW, Tenney MT. American Indian and Alaska Native Cancer Data Issues. American Indian Culture and Research Journal 199:23(3): 217-241.
- Burhansstipanov L. Lessons Learned from Native American Cancer Prevention, Control and Supportive Care Projects. Asian American and Pacific Islander Journal of Health: Summer-Autumn 1998; 6(2): 91-99.
- Burhansstipanov L, Bad Wound D, Capelouto N, Goldfarb F, Harjo L, Hatathlie L, Vigil G, and White M. Culturally Relevant "Navigator" Patient Support: The Native Sisters. Cancer Practice. May/June 1998; 6(3): 91-194.
- Dignan MB, Michielutte R, Sharp PC, Bahnson J, Young L, Beal P. The Role of Focus Groups in Health Education for Cervical Cancer among Minority Women. J Community Health 1990;15(6):369-375.
- Dignan M, Michielutte R, Sharp P, Young L, Daniels L. Use of Process Evaluation to Guide Forsyth County's Project to Prevent Cervical Cancer. Public Health Rep 1991;106(1):73-77
- Frost F., V. Taylor, E. Fires, Racial misclassification of Native Americans in a surveillance, epidemiology and end results cancer registry. Journal of the National Cancer Institute: 1992: 84:12:957-962.
- Michalek AM, Mahoney MC, Tome D, Tenney M, Burhansstipanov L. Tribal-based Cancer Control Activities: Services and Perceptions. Cancer Supplement: 78: 7: October 1996.
- Nutting PA, BN Calonge, DC Iverson, LA Green. The danger of applying uniform clinical policies across populations: the case of breast cancer in American Indians. American Journal of Public Health. 1994. 10:84(10):1631-6.
The Impacts of Racism on Health
Camara P. Jones, M.D., M.P.H., Ph.D.
- Cooper R, David R. The biological concept of race and its application to public health and epidemiology. J Health Politics Policy Law 1986; 11(1):97-116.
- Jones CP. Levels of Racism: Theoretical Framework and A Gardener's Tale. Am J Public Health 2000;90:1212-1215.
- Jones CP, LaVeist TA, Lillie-Blanton M. "Race" in the epidemiologic literature: An examination of the American Journal of Epidemiology, 1921-1990. Am J Epidemiol 1991; 134(10):1079-1084.
- Jones CP. Living beyond our "means": New methods for comparing distributions. Am J Epidemiol 1997; 146(12):1056-1066.
- Krieger N. Embodying inequality: A review of concepts, measures, and methods for studying health consequences of discrimination. Int J Health Services 1999; 29(2):295-352.
- Williams DR. Race and health: Basic questions, emerging directions. Ann Epidemiol 1997; 7(5):322-333.
Race and Ethnicity: Categories and the Influence of SES on Health
Olivia Carter-Pokras, M.H.S., Ph.D.
- Adler NE, Marmot M, McEwen BS, Stewart J (eds) Socioeconomic Status and Health in Industrial Nations, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol 896; New York, New York (1999).
- Berkman LF, Kawachi I (eds) Social Epidemiology New York; Oxford University Press (2000); 36-75.
- Health Services Research - Selected Papers from the Association for Health Services Research Annual Meeting, vol 34, num 1, Part II (1999).
- Kawachi I, Kennedy BP, Wilkinson RG (eds) The Society and Population Health Reader Volume I: Income Inequality and Health; New Press, New York (1999).
- Krieger N. Embodying Inequality: A Review of Concepts, Measures, and Methods for Studying Health Consequences of Discrimination. International Journal of Health Services, Volume 29, Number 2, (1999); 295-352.
- Krieger N, Williams DR, Moss NE. Measuring social class in U.S. public health research: concepts, methodologies, and guidelines. Annual Review Public Health 18 (1997); 341-78.
- Liberatos P, Link BG, Kelsey JL. The measurement of social class in epidemiology. Epidemiology Review 10 (1988);87-121.
- Marmot M, Wilkinson RG (eds) Social Determinants of Health New York; Oxford University Press (1999).
- Miringoff M, Miringoff ML (eds) The Social Health of the Nation New York; Oxford University Press (1999).
- Office of Management and Budget Bulletin No. 00-02. Guidance on Aggregation and Allocation of Data on Race for Use in Civil Rights Monitoring and Enforcement (March 9, 2000).
- Office of Management and Budget. Standards for Maintaining, Collecting, and Presenting, Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity. Federal Register (October 30, 1997); 62(210):58755-58790.
- Use of race and ethnicity in public health surveillance. Summary of CDC-ATSDR workshop. MMWR Recommendations and Reports (1993); 42:1-17.
- Williams D. Race/Ethnicity and Socioeconomic Status: Measurement and Methodological Issues. International Journal of Health Services vol 26, num 3, 483-505 (1996).
Sampling Racial and Ethnic Minorities
William Kalsbeek, Ph.D.
- Lepkowski, James M. (1991). Sampling the difficult-to-sample. Journal of Nutrition. 121(3):416-23,
- Watters, John K. and Biernacki, Patrick. (1989). Targeted sampling: options for the study of hidden populations. In Social Problems 36(4), 416-430.
- Frank, Ove and Snijders, Tom (1994). Estimating the size of hidden populations using snowball sampling. J. Official Statist. 10, 53-67.
- Kalsbeek, William D., Sharon Y. Cornell, and Patricia S. Tennis. (1987)
On Developing a National Sample of Women Early in Pregnancy, ASA Pro Srvy, pp. 720-725.
- Kalsbeek, William D. (1988) Design strategies for nonsedentary populations, ASA Pro Srvy, pp.28-37.
- Thompson, Steven K. (1998). Adaptive sampling in graphs. In ASA Pro Srvy, 13-22.
- Massey, James T., Judkins, David and Waksberg, Joseph (1993). Collecting health data on minority populations in a national survey (Disc: p85-87). In ASAProSrvy, 75-84.
- Bailey, Jeffrey T. and Kott, Phillip S. (1997). An application of multiple list frame sampling for multi-purpose surveys. In ASA Pro Srvy, 496-500.
- Frey WH. Farley R. Latino, Asian, and black segregation in U.S. metropolitan areas: are multiethnic metros different?. Demography Feb 1996;33(1):35-50.
Minority Health Research: Application of Epidemiologic Methods
Elena Yu, Ph.D., M.P.H.
- Amaro H, Jenkins W, Kunitz S, Levy J, Mixon M, and Yu E. Panel I: Epidemiology of Minority Health. Health Psychology 1995;14:592-600.
- Kim K, Yu ESH, Chen EH, Kim J, and Brintall RA. Colorectal Cancer Screening. Cancer Practice 1998;6:167-175.
- Lee MS, Crittenden KS, and Yu E. Social Support and Depression among Elderly Korean Immigrants in the United States. International Journal of Aging and Human Development 1996;42:313-327.
- Yu ESH. An overview of U.S. Health Data for Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders: Sources, Limitations, and Potential Solutions. Asian American and Pacific Islander Journal of Health 1996;4:68-71.
- Yu ESH, Liu WT. US National Health Data on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders: A Research Agenda for the 1990s. American Journal of Public Health 1992;82:1645-1652.
Qualitative Approaches to Questionnaire Design: Methods and Applications
Richard Warnecke, Ph.D.
- Johnson TP, Jobe JB, O'Rourke D, Sudman S, Warnecke R, Chavez N, Chapa-Resendez, G, Golden P. Dimensions of self identification among multiracial and multiethnic respondents in survey interviews Evaluation Review 1997; 21:671-687.
- Johnson TP, Parsons JA, Warnecke RB, Kaluzny AD. Dimensions of mail questionnaires and response quality Sociological Focus1993; 26:271-274.
- Parsons JA, Johnson TP, Warnecke RB, Kaluzny A. The effect of interviewer characteristics on gatekeeper resistance in surveys of elite populations Evaluation Review 1993; 17:131-143.
- Sudman S, Warnecke R, Johnson T, O’Rourke D, Davis A, Jobe J. Understanding the cognitive processes used by women reporting cancer prevention examinations and tests Journal of Official Statistics 1997; 13:305-315.
- Warnecke RB, Johnson TP, Chavez N, Sudman S, O'Rourke DP, Lacey L, Horm J. Improving question wording in surveys of culturally diverse populations Annals of Epidemiology 1997; 7:334-342.
- Warnecke RB, Sudman S, Johnson TP, O'Rourke D, Davis AM, Jobe JB. Cognitive aspects of recalling and reporting health-related events: Pap smears, clinical breast exams, and mammograms American Journal of Epidemiology 1997; 13(3):305-315.
Issues and Challenges in Reducing Health Disparities among Hispanics/Latinos in
Aida L. Giachello, Ph.D.
- Giachello, A. Health Outcomes Research on Hispanics/Latinos. Journal of Medical Systems 1996: 20(5):235-253.
- Lipton, R., and others. Factors Affecting Diabetes Treatment and Patient Education among Latinos: Results of a Preliminary Study in Chicago. Journal of Medical Systems 1996; 20(5):267-276
- McDermott, M., and others. Practice Variations in Treating Urban Minority Asthmatics in Chicago. Journal of Medical Systems 1996; 20(5):255-266.
- Lipton, R., and others. Attitudes and issues in treating Latino patients with type 2 diabetes: views of healthcare providers. The Diabetes Educator 1998; 24(1):67-71.
Assumptions in Community Based Research and Assessment
Robert E. Fullilove, III, Ed.D.
- Fullilove RE and Fullilove MT. Conducting research in ethnic minority communities: Considerations and challenges. In Drug Abuse Prevention with Multiethnic Youth . Botvin GJ, Schinke S and Orlandi MA [eds]. 1995. Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Fullilove MT. Psychiatric implications of displacement: contributions from the psychology of place. American Journal of Psychiatry 1996;153:1516-1523.
- Fullilove RE, Fullilove MT, Northridge ME, et al. Risk factors for excess mortality in Harlem: Findings from the Harlem Household Survey. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 1999;16(3S):22-28.
- Fullilove MT, Green L, Fullilove RE. Builing momentum: An ethnographic study of inner-city redevelopment. American Journal of Public Health 1999; 89:840-844.
The Detroit Community-Academic Urban Research Center: Principles, Rationale,
Challenges and Lessons Learned Through a Community-Based Participatory
Barbara A. Israel, Dr.P.H.
- Baker EA, Israel BA, Hugentobler MK, Schurman SJ. Use of local theory as a means to evaluate organization change programs. Manuscript in progress.
- Israel BA, Schulz AJ, Parker EA, Becker AB. Review of community-based research: Assessing partnership approaches to improve public health. Annual Review of Public Health 1998; 19:173-202.
- Israel BA, Baker EA, Goldenhar LM, Heaney CA, Schurman SJ. Occupational stress, safety and health: Conceptual framework and principles for effective prevention interventions. Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 1996; 1(3):261-286.
- Schurman SJ, Israel BA. 1995. Redesigning work systems to reduce stress: A participatory action research approach to creating change. In L. Murphy, J. Hurrell, S. Sauter and G. Keita (eds.) Job Stress Interventions, Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Israel BA, Schurman SJ, House JS. Action research on occupational stress: Involving workers as researchers. International Journal of Health Services 1989; 19:135-155.